Thursday, June 23, 2016

Why Cub Scouting is Awesome, even for a curmudgeon like me.

Our district put on a 5 evening, Cub/WEBELOS Scout (twilight) Day Camp last week.
  • Yes, it was a lot of preparation.
  • Yes, it was a lot of paperwork.
  • Yes, it was a lot of (redundant) training.
  • Yes, it a lot of risk assessment and liability mitigation.
  • Yes, it was a lot of, what seems over-the-top restrictive, policy.
Lucky me, I was the Camp Director.  A volunteer Assistant Scoutmaster, with an 18 year-old Eagle Scout, who works with the OA Lodge, District and Council, almost exclusively with Boy Scouts rank First Class and above, somehow managed to get himself placed in charge of a Cub Camp. Oh joy!

  • Yes, it was fun for the boys.
  • Yes, it was meaningful (to families of boys aged 6-10).
  • Yes, it was personally rejuvenating and spirit lifting.
  • Yes, it was...well, MAGICAL.
The gap-toothed smiles, of boys missing front teeth; the non-stop inquisitiveness; the boundless enthusiasm; the wonder in their eyes, when they see or do something brand new; the thrill of hitting a target for the first time; the opportunity to make new friends; the joy of simply being outside.

If I ever get too old and cranky to appreciate the magic of moments like these, please pull my BSA card and send my sorry behind home.

Lucky me, I was the Camp Director.

YiS,

Darrin Luksik
Congaree District, Indian Waters Council, Boy Scouts of America


No comments:

Post a Comment